- Sponsor. This Contest is sponsored by Keysight Technologies, Inc. 1400 Fountaingrove Parkway, Santa Rosa, CA USA 95403 (“Keysight”).
- Contest Period. There are 2 parts to this contest (“Contest Period”):
- Online Competition: Begins on April 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM PDT and ends on May 15, 2019 at 12:00 Noon PDT, before which all entries must be received.
- Final Competition: Begins on June 27, 2019 at 12:00 Noon PDT and ends on September 21, 2019 at the World Maker Faire final live event.
- Contest Description/Eligibility. No purchase necessary. This contest is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea* Republic of, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Arizona), and Venezuela. Entrants must be enrolled in an accredited public or private college or university in one of the countries specified above. The online portion of the contest will run concurrently in 3 different regions:
- Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEAI) Subsidiary Countries and EMEAI non-subsidiary countries
- Asia Pacific, Japan and Oceania
- North America and Latin America
- How to Enter. Visit www.iotchallengekeysight.com during the contest period and follow the instructions to complete and submit the entry form. Refer to the FAQ for more information.
- Limits. Limit two entries per team, one in each category. Incomplete and/or incoherent entries are void and no mechanically reproduced, software-generated or other automated multiple entries are permitted. Keysight, in its sole, reasonable discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of this contest. Team entries may have up to six members per team including the team leader.
- Intellectual Property. Except for license rights granted herein, all rights to intellectual property in any materials submitted by entrants during the Contest Period (collectively “Submitted Content”) are retained by the entrants. Submitted Content includes, but is not limited to, the text, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, audiovisual combinations, and other materials entrants submit to Keysight through this contest. Submitted Content may not contain any third-party created content (such as third-party logos or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights including but not limited to music, images, videos, software etc.). Submitted Content is NON-CONFIDENTIAL, even if it is marked as confidential or with similar legend, and Keysight, its affiliates and assigns, are free to disclose Submitted Content consistent with Keysight’s Privacy Statement. Entrants hereby authorize and perpetually and irrevocably license Keysight, its affiliates and assigns to use, reproduce and incorporate Submitted Content, as well as any photographs, video and sound recordings taken of entrants during the Contest Period while participating in the contest, solely in its marketing materials, including use on web sites. Entrants represent and warrant that they are the creator/author of the Submitted Content and have a legal right to grant this license to Submitted Content on behalf of themselves, any co-creators, or if intellectual property rights in Submitted Content have been assigned to a third party by entrant or by operation of law – such as to an employer – entrants are authorized on behalf of such third-party assignee to grant the license. Furthermore, the entrant agrees on behalf of themselves and any such third-party assignee to indemnify and hold Keysight, their affiliates, assigns, agents, and employees, harmless against liability should any third-party claim that such licensed use of the Submitted Content by Keysight, their affiliates, assigns, agents, and employees violates any intellectual property right of such third party, including but not limited to trade secret rights or copyright, to the Submitted Content.
- Data Privacy. By participating in this contest, entrants are providing Keysight with his/her/their personal data. For more information on how Keysight uses the personal data, and the choices available, please review Keysight’s Privacy Statement which can be found at www.Keysight.com/go/privacy.
- Prize Description.
Registration: The first 80 people in each of the competition regions specified above (240 people total) to successfully register and submit a qualified entry (either as an individual or as part of a team) will win a free handheld digital multimeter.
Online Competition: All-expenses paid trip for 2 (students) members per each finalist team (up to 6 teams total and up to 12 students total) to the World Maker Faire in New York on September 21-22, 2019. Finalists will be reimbursed for airfare, hotel room, meals, and transportation to/from the hotel. Finalist are encouraged to bring materials such as samples, prototypes, and other demonstrative materials to help the judges to better understand their entry.
- Grand Prize: Team: $50k USD cash prize University: Choice of select Keysight test equipment worth $50k USD
- First Place Winner: Smart Water Category Team: $25k USD cash prize University: Choice of select Keysight test equipment worth $25k USD
- First Place Winner: Smart Land Category Team: $25k USD cash prize University: Choice of select Keysight test equipment worth $25k USD
First Runner-up: Smart Land or Smart Water Category
Team: $20k USD cash prize
University: Choice of select Keysight test equipment worth $20k USD
Keysight reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that the stated prize becomes unavailable.
- Taxes. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes and duties, if any, are the winner's sole responsibility.
- Odds of Winning. The odds of winning this contest depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Winner Selection.
Online Competition: A panel of judges determined by Keysight will select one winner from each contest category (Smart Land and Smart Water) per region, six in total, based on the judging criteria listed below. In the event where there is no winner for a specific category, there will be a second winner in the other category that will proceed to the grand final round. The decisions of the panel of judges are final and binding. Judging will take place from May 16, 2019. Online competition winners will be announced on June 26, 2019.
Online Competition judging criteria:
- Innovation [35%] What makes the design novel? Does the design represent an important advance over current state of the art?
- Manufacturability [35%] How easy would it be to implement? Can it be cost-effectively manufactured/produced?
- Impact [20%] Is the design well defined and significant enough to affect people around the globe? Does it improve their lives?
- People’s Choice [10%] Voting will be carried out by contest site visitors.
For the final, live competition, a panel of judges selected by Keysight will select the top three winners based on the criteria listed below. Judging will take place at the Maker’s Faire, New York, on September 21, 2019.
Final Competition judging criteria:
- Sensor Ingenuity [20%] What makes the sensor network strategy novel? Does the strategy represent an important advance over current state of the art?
- Measurement Quality & Frequency [20%] What types of measurements are your taking and at what frequency? What is the accuracy of your measurements?
- Cost/Producibility/Durability [20%] How easy/costly would it be to implement your design? Can it be cost-effectively manufactured/produced? How durable is it?
- Insight Gained from Data Analysis [20%] What type of data did you collect? What type of insight did the data give you. Is that data actionable?
- Battery Life [20%] Does the expected battery life of your design meet the one-year requirement? What method are you using to prove that?
- Winner Notification. Any potential winner will be notified by mail, email and/or telephone. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within fourteen days from the date that Keysight first tries to notify him/her, and/or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to win the contest or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner will be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the contest, including without limitation, where permitted by law, the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, such individual will be declared a "winner" of the contest. Keysight assumes no responsibility for lost, late, or misdirected communications or any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions that may occur. No substitution, transfer, or assignment of the prize is permitted, except that Keysight reserves the right to substitute a prize of equivalent value in the event the offered prize is unavailable.
- General Conditions. Entrants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of Keysight, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. This contest is governed by the laws of the State of California and the United States. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Keysight to use winners' names and likenesses for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. Keysight takes no position on whether the selected entrant’s acceptance of the prize is in compliance with entrant’s employer’s policies or other guidelines, rules, laws, or regulations to which the selected entrant may be subject.
- Limitation of Liability. By entering, entrants release and hold harmless Keysight and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won.
- Internet. If for any reason the Internet portion of the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Keysight or its third-party providers that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, Keysight reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest, and to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. Keysight assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications-line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Keysight is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, or software, or for failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Keysight on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this contest.
- Winners List. The full list of winners will be posted on the contest web site. For a written list of winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Keysight Technologies, Inc., 5301 Stevens Creek Boulevard, Santa Clara, California USA 95051, Attn: Cheryl Ajluni. Requests received after October 21, 2019 will not be fulfilled.